Friday, November 1, 2013

Hamburger Cake!

I made a hamburger cake tonight with my little sister. It turned out so great! And this is going to take place one of the drawings for this week because this is art :P


I made one yellow cake mix, splitting the batter between two 8" round cake pans and baked them. I leveled one of them for the bottom part of the bun and let it sit for a few so it wouldn't get a bunch of crumbs in it when I frosted it. Then I made an 8" round pan of brownies for the hamburger patty.

I mixed orange food coloring into vanilla frosting and then we frosted the two 8" cakes and placed the brownie on top of the bottom bun. Then my sister and I formed little lettuces from green air heads by cutting it into four pieces and each piece getting formed separately. Then we rolled out two red air heads so that one end was round. Then we placed them over the lettuces on opposite ends of the cake. For the cheese, we rolled out/stretched orange air heads and placed it of the lettuces on the opposite ends of the cake (so the tomatoes and cheese form a square sort of).

Then I put the top half of the bun on and my sister sprinkled a few white (only white) sprinkles over the top for the little seeds.

What I would do differently:


  • I would get the airheads all ready before I need to actually use them so it's not a rush at the end
  • I would frost a really thin layer over the middle of the brownie cake before putting the top of the bun on.
  • I would put the lettuces airheads on before the brownie is all the way cooled. The lettuces didn't like to stay on because the brownie cake was cool.


Instructions:
Prepare 1 boxed cake mix (or your favorite recipe). Split between two 8' round cake pans. Prepare one boxed brownie mix (or your favorite recipe) and put in an 8" round cake pan. Bake at directed temperature.

While it's baking and cooling: Clean your mess and start forming little lettuce leaves just by bending the pieces of green air heads however you would like (We used four airheads, I think.) and then the red ones roll out with a rolling pin or something like that. Even a longer cup would work. Flatten it a little and then roll one end so it's round. Do that for the second tomato. Roll the orange airheads out and stretch them into squares.



After the cakes and brownie come out of the oven, as soon as you can, try to get them out onto a solid, thick cutting board to cool.

Put the lettuce pieces around the edge of the brownie cake before it's all the way cooled. But not when it's just come out of the oven either (or I imagine the airheads would melt).

After the cakes are cool, level the flatter of the two to make it even more flat. Then frost it with vanilla (colored tan-ish orange for the bun color). Then carefully place the brownie cake on top of the bottom bun. Frost a little over the top of the brownie then frost the top bun. Make sure all the airhead pieces are in place before moving the top bun onto the brownie (I used a metal spatula). And... TA-DA!

FINISHED PRODUCT!


I hope you like it! It was really good and tasty! Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think and if you're going to try it!

Bye!


~ Emi ♥

1 comment: